Wednesday, May 23, 2012

AWFFLE HOUSE SPECIAL


Drop two hash browns, one smothered, peppered, and capped.


This siding once clad the garage that became my studio two years ago. It was old and dirty and painted white. I still have scraps in my studio that I may do something with one day. I thought it would be great to strip it down and then have it chrome plated. I imagined going to the plating shop where all the guys go to have their vintage headlights and bumpers carefully restored. I'd walk in beaming with my mangled pieces of aluminum. I would feel the same pride in my siding that they felt with their '49 Town and Countries and '29 Caddies, willing to pay the big bucks, because triple chrome plating is the way to go if you care about your details and I do. I really do. And I did, but in the end the job was bad and it blistered within a few days. So I went the elegant route, one silver (au naturel) and one gold*. Sure it takes maintenance to keep the mirror finish buffed up like the side of a tanker, but hun,  it's worth it. The other painting is smothered with gold powder coating, peppered with metallic flecks and capped with an extra shiny clear coat.



*Makes me think of Burl Ives, which makes me feel safe, but a little sad because Rudolf is a lonely story and the North Pole is desolate even in puppet land, and a Jewish kid watching Rudolf TRNR feels more than a little like Rudolf right down to the hero fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment