Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Summer is here!

I started this blog because I thought you might like to see some process shots as I go into summer studio mode. This week I've been working on what was conceived to be a long, low wall of canvases. The canvases and paint work like bricks and mortar, grouped modularly to be reconfigured at will. Today I was thinking of opulence so it became a column. The way these pieces play out depends on considerations of the site. Tomorrow it might be a wall again, or a group of posts or a bench.








































In the background are two sections of aluminum siding left over from my studio renovation. I stripped one section and buffed it to a mirror sheen and powder coated the other section with metallic gold. The idea was to refer to paint as a covering -- so this piece is naked/dressed, stripped/coated, buff/covered, etc. I also wanted to play around with a common tendency to extravagantly decorate worthless garbage in order to make it look "classy."


3 comments:

  1. Classy garbage.....I like that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Wonderful Judy! When did you end up at FSU???

    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I've been at FSU since 08. I've tried to figure it out, but whooooo are youoooo?

    ReplyDelete