Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shipping and planning


Packing is a puzzle. There are many moving parts that need to fit together. Yes, they all need to fit into the boxes as perfectly as possible, but also different pieces travel to various parts of the country and then meet up again in another city. It's like I'm  sending the band off on a national tour. I need to make sure they arrive safely and economically. Some of the members have solo gigs along the way, too. One of the reasons I make modular work is because it makes shipping simpler. This is not a cop-out. It is a compromise, though. The work reflects the compromises I have to make -- that any of us make if we're not in the 1% -- in order to continue doing what I do. I'm not frustrated by this at all. The reality of practical living is just another dimension of the work and I like to see it clearly communicated.

1 comment:

  1. Compromise is the essence of life. Many happy accidents occur. I'm not a fan of perfection. Love your ink packing sketch.

    ReplyDelete