Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Greetings from Chicago

I arrived at Threewalls on Monday. My box of panels arrived ahead of me and was waiting in my room, damaged.  Also, my studio was not ready, so I spent the afternoon and Tuesday working between the small woodshop and bedroom repairing the damaged panels. As of today the studio was still not ready. Good thing I'm in Chicago instead of a residency in the woods! No worries, I headed over to the Art Institute where Richard Artschwager and Eva Hesse socked me right in the gut.

Artschwager's campy Table with Pink Tablecloth (1964), is a solid box sheathed in Formica.

So much of contemporary abstract painting/sculpture (Rachel Harrison, Donald Moffett, Nancy Shaver) owes a ton to the poetic spirit of Eva Hess and her willingness to nail her balls to the wall.



And as I finish this post, my studio is still being prepped. There is always the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment