Thursday, January 17, 2013

Today is another day

One of the things about "the artist residency" is that it is a time for reflection, exploration, and through these things, creative expansion. I took the idea of reflecting literally for my Threewalls residency. For the next eight days I am turning my focus away from the idea of building with painting, and taking a closer look at images, and then reflecting them with mirrors.

Uncomfortable with creating images myself anymore, I decided to pay tribute to the abstract painter, Karl Benjamin. I've re-interpreted his paintings, and in some cases I've used his work as inspiration to create my own images. The idea of using mirrors occurred to me as a way to make a strong break from my obsession with the physical architecture of paintings, to dissolve their physicality. Of course, mirrors are a strong metaphor, and  I also like them in context of the tribute -- that I am reflecting Benjamin's work (and the work of so many other greats) in my own creations.








No comments:

Post a Comment